What are the symptoms of plaque psoriasis?

The symptoms of plaque psoriasis include thick, raised patches of dry skin lesions (plaques) anywhere on the body. They can be red with silvery scales, itchy and painful. Some only have a few lesions, while others can have multiple lesions that may even crack or bleed. Symptoms tend to have periods of flaring and subsiding. For some, symptoms diminish in summer months when exposed to sun and flare in winter months or during periods of stress.

Dr. Mark W. Moronell, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Plaque psoriasis (psoriasis vulgaris) is also called "scalp psoriasis" because outbreaks are common on the scalp. Researchers estimate that at least half of the people who have plaque psoriasis will have at least one flare-up on the scalp. Symptoms include raised, inflamed, red lesions covered by silvery-white scales.

Plaque psoriasis is typically found on the elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back.

Plaque psoriasis is the most prevalent form of psoriasis, making up about 80 percent of psoriasis cases.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

Treat and Prevent Your Psoriatic Nail Disease
Nail funk: Gross! (And embarrassing, too.) It might be something you have to deal with if you have psoriasis, though. Up to 78% of people with psorias...
What should I know before taking apremilast?
If you have had a depressive disorder, apremilast may not be a good option for you. If you have sev...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
Does Psoriasis Raise My Risk of Skin Cancer?