What are the symptoms of plaque psoriasis?

The symptoms of plaque psoriasis include thick, raised patches of dry skin lesions (plaques) anywhere on the body. They can be red with silvery scales, itchy and painful. Some only have a few lesions, while others can have multiple lesions that may even crack or bleed. Symptoms tend to have periods of flaring and subsiding. For some, symptoms diminish in summer months when exposed to sun and flare in winter months or during periods of stress.

Dr. Mark W. Moronell, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Plaque psoriasis (psoriasis vulgaris) is also called "scalp psoriasis" because outbreaks are common on the scalp. Researchers estimate that at least half of the people who have plaque psoriasis will have at least one flare-up on the scalp. Symptoms include raised, inflamed, red lesions covered by silvery-white scales.

Plaque psoriasis is typically found on the elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back.

Plaque psoriasis is the most prevalent form of psoriasis, making up about 80 percent of psoriasis cases.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

My Story, My Diagnosis: Toni's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Toni's Story
When she was eight years old, Toni was diagnosed with psoriasis. As an adult, she was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. In this video, she shares he...
How is heredity related to plaque psoriasis?
Experts are looking into how genes are related to plaque psoriasis. Researchers believe that there m...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
Why May I Need Phototherapy for Psoriasis?