What are the symptoms of nail psoriasis?

Some of the common symptoms you may see if you have nail psoriasis include:
  • pits or holes in your nail
  • nail thickening
  • abnormal nail shape
  • discoloration
  • nail pulling away from the skin
  • white spots under the nail (which can be a sign the nail is pulling away from the skin)
  • crumbling nails
According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, nail psoriasis affects up to 50% of people living with psoriasis. 

Ninety-five percent of cases of nail psoriasis accompany general skin psoriasis symptoms. In these cases, people will experience cracked skin that might bleed; red, irritated patches with scaling; itching or burning; and joint soreness. In nail psoriasis, individuals will also experience tiny dents on the surface of the nail, otherwise known as pits, and the nail begins to change color - often a yellowish-brown. Nail psoriasis may also cause abnormal nail development, thickness of the nail, and a crumbling or separation of the nail from the body.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis: Getting Started
If you're living with psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis, you know the effects aren't just physical. Not only do skin and joint symptoms hurt and itch, ...
What should I know before taking apremilast?
If you have had a depressive disorder, apremilast may not be a good option for you. If you have sev...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?