What should I know about flexural psoriasis?

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder that causes your body to make skin cells too fast. There are five main types of psoriasis. Flexural psoriasis (also called inverse psoriasis) usually affects areas of your skin that touch one another, such as the armpits, groin, or skin folds. It appears as bright red, shiny patches of skin that can rub together and become very painful.

If you believe you have flexural psoriasis, the most important thing you can do is to see a doctor or dermatologist, who can diagnose and treat the condition. There is no cure for psoriasis, so you need to learn ways to manage both the condition itself and the difficult emotions that can come with it.

Since psoriasis affects your appearance and can be very painful, people living with the condition can be prone to depression. Experts say confiding in a friend or loved one and finding a support group (online or in person) or a good counselor can be an important step in managing a diagnosis of psoriasis.

Living with psoriasis can also make you more prone to other medical conditions including psoriatic arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Experts recommend that anyone with psoriasis be checked regularly for arthritis, cardiac risk factors, and diabetes.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Psoriasis Affects Mental Health
How Psoriasis Affects Mental Health
The physical side effects of psoriasis are well known–from flaky, patchy skin to painful inflammation–but research shows that one of the biggest by-pr...
What are IL-17 inhibitors?
The drugs secukinumab (Cosentyx) and ixekizumab (Taltz) block certain immune system proteins (IL-17A...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
What Should I Tell my Doctor If I’m Unhappy With My Psoriasis Treatment?