What should I know before taking apremilast?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have had a depressive disorder, apremilast may not be a good option for you.

If you have severe kidney function impairment, apremilast may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or may be pregnant, apremilast may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

It is not known if apremilast is safe or effective for children.

If you are breastfeeding, apremilast may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

Can You Have More Than One Type of Psoriasis?
Plaque psoriasis is the most common type of psoriasis. Between 80 and 90 percent of people with psoriasis have this type, which manifests as lesions o...
Is sunlight a form of phototherapy for plaque psoriasis?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
Both UVB and UVA (ultraviolet light A) rays are found in sunlight. However, studies show that UVB li...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
How Can I Prevent Psoriasis from Affecting My Love Life?