What is secukinumab?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Secukinumab (Cosentyx) blocks certain immune system proteins (IL-17A) that cause inflammation in people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. It is FDA-approved for treating both conditions. For most people with psoriatic arthritis, it is given as weekly injections for 4 weeks, then given monthly. The shots can be given by a doctor, or people can give them to themselves. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

The Connection Between Psoriatic Arthritis and Psoriasis
Psoriatic arthritis is a type of arthritis that can develop in people that have psoriasis. In this video, Jennifer Caudle, DO, explains the relationsh...
What side effects do IL-17 inhibitors have?
Side effects of secukinumab may include infections, a runny or stuffy nose, and diarrhea. Serious si...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?