What increases my risk for scalp psoriasis?

Scalp psoriasis is a relatively common skin disorder that can affect people of all ages and races, but there are certain factors that may increase your risk for the condition. Family history is one of the most influential risk factors of the disease. If you have a family member who has had any type of psoriasis, you may have an increased risk of developing the condition. Other genetic or medical factors may also increase your risk. People with HIV or other immune system problems are more likely to develop the disease, as are people with lighter skin. High levels of stress and smoking may also increase your risk of developing scalp psoriasis. Age is also a factor--although it can begin at any age, most people with scalp psoriasis will first get symptoms between the ages of 15 and 35.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Can I Boost Self-Esteem With Psoriasis?
Psoriasis can take a major toll on a person’s self-esteem and self-confidence. In this video, psoriasis patient Alisha Bridges shares her number one p...
Is plaque psoriasis serious?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Psoriasis is a skin disease that affects the normal growth of skin cells, and varies in severity fro...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Foods Should I Avoid if I Have Psoriasis?