What are the symptoms of psoriasis?

The most familiar symptoms of psoriasis are thick, dry, red patches of skin that flake off in silvery scales -- but psoriasis may begin as just small red bumps.

Roughly half of the people with psoriasis also have irregular nail growth that causes pitting, discoloration, or, in some cases, crumbling of the fingernails and toenails. A smaller number of people also experience arthritis symptoms (joints that are stiff in the morning and painful, swollen, or limited in motion for more than 2 weeks).

Psoriasis is an autoimmune reaction that causes well-defined red lesions with a silvery bit of scale on top. It tends to crop up on elbows, knees, scalp, and private parts, and can also spread to the fingernails and toenails, causing small pits in the nail.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Symptoms of psoriasis differ, but commonly red, swollen skin is covered by plaques, which are grayish-silver scales. These outbreaks can happen anywhere on the body, although most they're usually found on the head, back, buttocks, arms, and knees. The areas affected by the outbreak may also be painful or itchy. It's not uncommon for dry skin to occur and become severe enough that the skin cracks and bleeds. Psoriasis can affect more than skin though. Nails may become ridged and thick while a type of arthritis (psoriatic arthritis) can occur after psoriasis causes the joints to swell.

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
The lesions of psoriasis are usually sharply bordered reddened rashes or plaques covered with overlapping silvery scales, which can be itchy and/or painful. Psoriasis usually affects the wrists, elbows, knees, buttocks, and ankles; and sites of repeated trauma. Nail involvement results in a characteristic "oil drop" stippling or a thimble-like appearance. Psoriasis can also affect the joints, particularly the last joint of the fingers and toes, producing psoriatic arthritis.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

My Story, My Diagnosis: Toni's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Toni's Story
When she was eight years old, Toni was diagnosed with psoriasis. As an adult, she was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. In this video, she shares he...
How does plaque psoriasis affect the body?
Plaque psoriasis can certainly affect fingernails and/or toenails. When it does, it could be a sign ...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Alisha's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Alisha's Story