What are the treatment options for guttate psoriasis?

If you have guttate psoriasis, you should seek a doctor to help you control your symptoms and prevent complications. Antibiotics may be given if you have a current infection.

If your case of guttate psoriasis is mild, you can probably treat it at home using a cortisone cream to stop itching, prescription medications, moisturizers, or lotions made with coal tar. Limited exposure to sunlight or phototherapy can also help.

Baths with Epsom salts or colloidal oatmeal can soothe the skin and help remove rough, flaky skin. Individuals with severe cases of guttate psoriasis may need prescription medications to suppress the immune system.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Psoriasis Affects Body Image
How Psoriasis Affects Body Image
We live in a world where it seems that more and more people are dissatisfied with how they look. For some, this means being unhappy with how much they...
What is psoriasis?
Dr. Gary Goldenberg, MDDr. Gary Goldenberg, MD
Psoriasis is a skin condition that is genetic and presents with scaly, itchy plaques on the skin. Th...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
Why May I Need Phototherapy for Psoriasis?