What are the triggers for plaque psoriasis?

There are many things you can do to prevent a flare-up of plaque psoriasis:

• Identify your triggers and avoid them. They are different for every person, but include infections (like sore throats), cuts on the skin, severe sunburns, stress, smoking and even some medications.
  • Document what happens before a flare-up, and tell your doctor about it.
  • Stop smoking, and limit your intake of alcohol (one drink for the ladies, two for the men).
  • Manage your stress (easier said than done, we know), but exercise (get those 10,000 steps), sufficient sleep (6 to 8 hours a night), a good diet (5 food felon-free), deep breathing and yoga can help.
  • Keep your skin moisturized, and use a sunscreen regularly.
  • Don’t scratch or pick at your skin.
  • Wear cotton or other soft fabrics, not those itchy wool sweaters your grandma always gets you (Sorry, Grandma!).
  • Bathe in warm water and use soap or shampoo that is fragrance-free.

Even the stress of reading answers and trying to figure out what webmd.com meant can trigger a flare-up (only kidding). If you have a flare-up, remember to tell your doctor about the circumstances preceding it. This could be helpful in preventing it from happening in the future.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

6 Psoriasis Triggers You Want to Avoid
6 Psoriasis Triggers You Want to Avoid
There is no cure for psoriasis, but the disorder can be managed, and many people who have psoriasis are able to achieve clearer skin. One of the key e...
What is psoriasis?
Dr. Joshua A. Zeichner, MDDr. Joshua A. Zeichner, MD
Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition. It is considered an autoimmune disease, where t...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
When Should I Call My Doctor If I Have Psoriasis?