Should I talk to my doctor about my erythrodermic psoriasis?

If you are having symptoms of exfoliative psoriasis (also called erythrodermic psoriasis), you should contact your doctor immediately because this condition can be dangerous.

Exfoliative psoriasis is the least common but one of the most serious types of psoriasis. It causes widespread reddening and shedding of the skin that can lead to several life-threatening complications including infection, pneumonia, and congestive heart failure. People with severe cases of exfoliative psoriasis may require intravenous fluids and hospitalization.

You should talk to your doctor about your erythrodermic psoriasis symptoms as soon as you recognize them, because treatment often requires hospitalization. An erythrodermic psoriasis flare puts you at high risk for pneumonia, heart failure, and infection. Besides, the pain and itching that accompany the condition are very uncomfortable, and treatment will help relieve your discomfort.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Biologic Therapies Treat Psoriasis
How Biologic Therapies Treat Psoriasis
Biologic therapies, also called biologics, are a category of drug that can be used to treat a number of inflammatory diseases, including multiple form...
What is psoriasis?
Dr. Gary Goldenberg, MDDr. Gary Goldenberg, MD
Psoriasis is a skin condition that is genetic and presents with scaly, itchy plaques on the skin. Th...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
How Effective are Biologics for Psoriasis?