Is there a link between plaque psoriasis and depression?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine

Most chronic health conditions have an emotional impact on the individual, and psoriasis is no different. This auto-immune disease can cause considerable emotional stress for people, which includes the chance of mood disorders such as depression and lower self-confidence and self-esteem. The emotional impact of psoriasis is so great that one study claims about 24 percent of individuals with psoriasis have depression.

Depression is a very serious mood disorder and can impact a person's quality of life. Also, depression is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Getting a medical diagnosis and effective treatment for depression with psoriasis is vital to reclaiming your life.

Managing a chronic disease can be as draining and stressful as having a newborn around. So it’s no surprise that individuals who suffer from plaque psoriasis also are more likely to suffer from low self-esteem and mood disorders, including depression. Although not everyone who has plaque psoriasis suffers from depression, almost a quarter of people who have plaque psoriasis do. So if you are feeling down or have been for a while, talk to your doctor. Treating both the plaque psoriasis and depression can help you regain quality of life.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

5 Psoriasis Treatments—and How to Choose the Right One for You
Treatment of psoriasis has come a long way in recent years. Why? The medical community started to take the condition more seriously. “Forty to 50 yea...
Can psoriasis be caused by an infection?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Infections do not cause psoriasis. Psoriasis can develop after infections, injuries to the skin and ...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Foods Should I Avoid if I Have Psoriasis?