How does plaque psoriasis start?

Often, plaque psoriasis first starts on the scalp, elbows or knees. It can also show up on the face and on the trunk of the body. There may be small areas of plaques or large areas. There may be plaques in just a few places or all over. People may even have psoriasis on their fingernails.

Dr. Mark W. Moronell, MD
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

In the early stages, psoriasis may be unnoticeable. The skin or scalp may itch or burn.

Plaque psoriasis usually first appears as small red bumps, which gradually enlarge, and form into scales. While the top scales flake off easily and often, scales below the surface stick together. The small red bumps develop into plaques, which is what doctors call the reddish areas of raised and thickened skin.

The symptoms of plaque psoriasis, also called psoriasis vulgaris, include raised, inflamed, red lesions covered by silvery-white scales.

Plaque psoriasis is typically found on the elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back.

Plaque psoriasis is the most prevalent form of psoriasis, making up about 80 percent of psoriasis cases.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Should I Moisturize My Skin If I Have Psoriasis?
The best way to moisturize your skin when you have psoriasis depends on a number of factors, including where you live and the time of year. In this vi...
How common is psoriasis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Psoriasis is a fairly common skin condition. In the United States alone, it's believed that there ar...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Is a Skin Biopsy for Psoriasis?
What Is a Skin Biopsy for Psoriasis?