How do other illnesses affect psoriasis?

If you have HIV, the negative effect of the virus on your immune system may trigger psoriasis. The same is true for children who have recurring infections like strep throat. These and conditions like alcoholism and obesity may make psoriasis more difficult to treat. Other than that, most illnesses probably should not have an effect on your psoriasis, unless they require a medication that may affect it. Lithium and beta-blockers, for example, have been known to trigger psoriasis or make existing symptoms worse, as can chemotherapy medications and anti-malaria drugs.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Can I Boost Self-Esteem With Psoriasis?
Psoriasis can take a major toll on a person’s self-esteem and self-confidence. In this video, psoriasis patient Alisha Bridges shares her number one p...
How does the psoriasis start?
Jeffrey M. Weinberg, MDJeffrey M. Weinberg, MD
The basis of psoriasis is a genetic predisposition to develop the condition. It is hypothesized that...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
How Does Phototherapy Treat Plaque Psoriasis?