How do medications treat scalp psoriasis?

Different medications work to treat scalp psoriasis in different ways. Over-the-counter topical treatments usually contain salicylic acid, which helps make thick patches of skin thinner, or coal tar, which helps control itching and inflammation. Prescription topical medications can contain a variety of ingredients, ranging from corticosteroids to vitamin D derivatives to retinoids, all of which help treat inflammation and stop excessive skin growth. Light therapy, or phototherapy, uses ultraviolet light to kill excess skin cells. Oral medications usually work to stop the overgrowth of skin cells, and often contain stronger ingredients like cyclosporine and methotrexate.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

Psoriasis and Intimacy: 6 Tips for Talking to a Partner
Many people with psoriasis will tell you that the disorder has a negative impact on their intimacy and sexual fulfillment. Symptoms like itching, pain...
What are the symptoms of plaque psoriasis?
Dr. Mark W. Moronell, MDDr. Mark W. Moronell, MD
Plaque psoriasis (psoriasis vulgaris) is also called "scalp psoriasis" because outbreaks are common ...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
What Types of Joint Pain Should I Report to My Doctor If I Have Psoriasis?