How do I manage my psoriasis on a daily basis?

Seeing a doctor and getting proper treatment is the first step in managing your psoriasis. You'll want to follow the treatment plan that you and your doctor put in place. It's also important to identify triggers that make your symptoms worse. Once you know what they are, you can take steps to avoid them in your daily life, which may mean some lifestyle changes. Your bathing routine is important. It may help to avoid hot showers by instead using lukewarm water. Afterwards, follow up any cleansing with a good moisturizer. (Your doctor can help you identify a good product.) If you're experiencing a flare-up, do what you can to avoid any further irritation to the affected skin.

If you suffer from nail psoriasis, be sure to seek advice and treatment from a doctor for this condition. In addition to prescribing oral or topical medications for your nail psoriasis, your doctor or dermatologist may recommend keeping your nails trimmed short and wearing gloves when working with your hands to minimize trauma or damage -- such as breaking, tearing or splitting -- to the nail area, which can worsen symptoms. 

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

What Has Been Your Experience With Biologic Treatment?
Patient and advocate Alisha Bridges has tried a number of biologic treatments over the past 10 years. In this video, she talks about finding a treatme...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have plaque psoriasis?
If you have been diagnosed with plaque psoriasis, your dermatologist may suggest you clean your skin...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
What Are the Treatment Options for Psoriasis?