How is inverse psoriasis diagnosed?

Because the symptoms of inverse psoriasis resemble that of several other skin conditions, diagnosis can be difficult. After looking at your symptoms, your doctor will probably take of sample from your skin to examine more closely. This skin biopsy will determine if you have psoriasis or another condition.

Flexural psoriasis (also called inverse psoriasis), one of the five main types of the autoimmune condition psoriasis, is usually diagnosed by a dermatologist in his or her office. Your doctor will examine your skin, find out if any family members have psoriasis, and ask what life events may have contributed to you developing the condition. The doctor may ask:
  • Have you been under a lot of stress?
  • Did you recently have an illness?
  • Are you on a new medication?
If your doctor is still not sure about the diagnosis, he or she can remove some of your skin, look at it under a microscope, and determine whether you have psoriasis.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

The Link Between Weight and Psoriasis
The Link Between Weight and Psoriasis
Although there isn’t a direct correlation, excess body weight may contribute to psoriasis. Learn more in this video with registered dietician Ashley K...
How is plaque psoriasis diagnosed?
A doctor can diagnose plaque psoriasis simply by examining it closely either with his or her eyes, o...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
When Should I Call My Doctor If I Have Psoriasis?