How common is erythrodermic psoriasis?

Erythrodermic psoriasis is rare. No more than 3 percent of the 1 to 5 percent of the population who are diagnosed with psoriasis will ever have an erythrodermic psoriasis flare. However, it is a good idea to know the symptoms, especially if you know you are at risk, because the condition can cause serious illness.
Exfoliative psoriasis is one of the five main types of psoriasis, an autoimmune condition in which the immune system makes skin cells too fast. It is also called erythrodermic psoriasis and is the least common type. According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, exfoliative psoriasis occurs in only 1% to 2% of the people who have psoriasis and may only occur once in a person's lifetime. The condition can be life threatening and may require hospitalization.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

Psoriasis and Diet
Psoriasis and Diet
While psoriasis is not caused by or cured by diet, certain foods can make psoriasis symptoms worse. Watch as Dr. Oz shares a list of foods to avoid, a...
What can I do if I'm feeling down or stressed by my psoriasis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Whenever you’re feeling down or stressed about your psoriasis, talk about your feelings with your fa...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Is the Difference Between Psoriatic and Rheumatoid Arthritis?