How is apremilast used to treat plaque psoriasis?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Apremilast (Otezla) is a drug that acts on the immune system to reduce inflammation. It is taken as a pill. It was first approved by the FDA to treat psoriatic arthritis. It was approved for treating moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis in September, 2014. Apremilast is less likely to cause serious side effects than other oral psoriasis drugs. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

What Would Cause an Increase In Autoimmune Diseases Like Psoriasis?
Have autoimmune diseases like psoriasis become more prevalent in recent decades? Watch Sanjay Gupta, MD, and Gary Botstein, MD, discuss why an increas...
Is plaque psoriasis treatment different depending on the site?
YES. Plaque psoriasis is treated differently depending on the site. That’s because the skin on your ...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
How Often Should I See My Doctor About My Psoriasis?