How is apremilast used to treat plaque psoriasis?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Apremilast (Otezla) is a drug that acts on the immune system to reduce inflammation. It is taken as a pill. It was first approved by the FDA to treat psoriatic arthritis. It was approved for treating moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis in September, 2014. Apremilast is less likely to cause serious side effects than other oral psoriasis drugs. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

How Can I Prevent Psoriasis from Affecting My Love Life?
In this video, a dermatologist discusses the ways that psoriasis symptoms can interfere with a person’s love life, and why you shouldn’t be embarrasse...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have plaque psoriasis?
If you have been diagnosed with plaque psoriasis, your dermatologist may suggest you clean your skin...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Are the Different Types of Psoriasis?