Does psoriasis only affect the skin?

Most people with psoriasis will suffer skin irritation on their scalp, knees, elbows, hands and feet. But it can also affect the eyelids, ears, fingernails, toenails, inside the mouth and soft tissues of the genitals.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.
Unfortunately, psoriasis doesn't only affect the skin. While that is a main component of this autoimmune disorder, it can also affect the joints and is called psoriatic arthritis. Joint pain, stiffness and swelling are the symptoms, and if not treated appropriately, psoriatic arthritis can eventually damage the joints.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

The Connection Between Psoriatic Arthritis and Psoriasis
Psoriatic arthritis is a type of arthritis that can develop in people that have psoriasis. In this video, Jennifer Caudle, DO, explains the relationsh...
How does plaque psoriasis start?
Dr. Mark W. Moronell, MDDr. Mark W. Moronell, MD
In the early stages, psoriasis may be unnoticeable. The skin or scalp may itch or burn. Plaque psor...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?