Can plaque psoriasis be mild, moderate, or severe?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine

There are different types of psoriasis and different degrees of plaque psoriasis. With a mild case of plaque psoriasis, the lesions affect less than 2 percent of the body.  (One percent of your skin is the size of your palm.)

A moderate case of plaque psoriasis is when people have 3 to 10 percent of the body affected by the raised, red lesions. If someone has plaque psoriasis over more than 10 percent of their body, this is considered a severe case. Also, a severe case of plaque psoriasis can be when the condition interferes with your quality of life. Even if the psoriasis is on 2 to 5 percent of the body, it it's on your feet or hands, it may affect you greatly. 

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Psoriasis
A psoriasis diagnosis can be surprising—and because the exact cause of the condition in unknown—confusing. Take charge of your condition and treatment...
What increases my risk for plaque psoriasis?
Anyone may get plaque psoriasis but there are a number of factors that increase risk. One factor is ...
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
Foods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis WorseFoods That Could Make Your Psoriasis Worse
You might want to rethink hitting happy hour.
What Diet Should I follow if I have Psoriasis?