Can nail psoriasis be prevented?

Because nail psoriasis is an inherited disorder, it cannot be prevented. If you have a family history of psoriasis, visiting a doctor as soon as symptoms appear may help alleviate the symptoms over time. Early treatment is the best preventative measure against more severe symptoms in the long term. Avoiding triggers, such as alcohol consumption and stress, will decrease the risk of symptoms flaring up. Once nail psoriasis is diagnosed, treatment may help sow the progression of the disease.

If you have nail psoriasis, you most likely have another form of psoriasis, too. About half of all people with psoriasis experience it in their nails as well, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Psoriasis usually has a genetic basis, but just because a family member has it does not mean you'll get it. If psoriasis runs in your family, abstain from smoking and alcohol, keep your stress level down, and eat a healthy diet to help prevent it. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned about psoriasis and how to lower your risk.

Continue Learning about Plaque Psoriasis

A Virtual Look at Psoriasis
A Virtual Look at Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder that speeds up the growth of skin cells, resulting in a number of skin symptoms. Join Sanjay Gupta, MD, for a virt...
What can I do if I'm feeling down or stressed by my psoriasis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Whenever you’re feeling down or stressed about your psoriasis, talk about your feelings with your fa...
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try6 Psoriasis Self-Care Tips You Should Try
Find out how you can manage your psoriasis on a daily basis.
Does Meditation Help Treat Psoriasis?
Does Meditation Help Treat Psoriasis?