Your Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Healthcare Team

There's a good chance you'll talk to your primary care doctor first about your symptoms. Depending on your condition, your doctor may refer you to one or more specialists for complete diagnosis and treatment.

If you have skin symptoms only, you'll probably need to see a dermatologist. If you have joint symptoms, it's best to see a rheumatologist as soon as possible. Rheumatologists are specially trained to treat arthritis and similar conditions. People with psoriatic arthritis often see both a rheumatologist and a dermatologist.

Other members of your healthcare team may include:

  • Nurse or nurse practitioner (for care at or between doctor visits)
  • Psychologist or counselor (for emotional support)
  • Occupational or physical therapist (for help with joint function)
  • Orthopedic surgeon (for joint surgery, if needed)  

more from this guide

Your Psoriasis Symptoms

Whether your symptoms are new or you've already started treatment, it's important to be open and honest with your doctor. To give you the best ...

Read More
Print Your Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Notes

Print this guide before your next doctor visit and write down anything you want to tell or ask your doctor in the notes section. At your appointment, ...

Read More
Staying Well with Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis

What's the most important way to stay well with psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis? It's setting up a treatment plan with your doctor, sticking ...

Read More
Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis: Getting Started

If you're living with psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis, you know the effects aren't just physical. Not only do skin and joint symptoms hurt an...

Read More