Why should I include protein in my breakfast?

Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Eating a breakfast that is beefed up with protein may be optimal for appetite control. Eating breakfast, compared to skipping breakfast, is known to reduce hunger, increase satiety, as well as reduce activity in the regions of the brain that control food motivation and cravings. By adding an increased percentage of protein in your breakfast, there may be a greater reduction in hunger. A hard cooked egg, a serving of nuts, a cup of yogurt or some reduced fat cheese are just a few of the ways that you can healthfully add protein to your breakfast and potentially experience less hunger throughout the morning.

Keri Gans
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

As important as it is to add fiber to breakfast, always pair your carbs with a serving of protein—low-fat milk with your cereal, scrambled egg whites with your high-fiber pancakes, low-fat cottage cheese with your oatmeal, fruit or toast. Remember, protein is part of a healthy plate, too—and without it in your morning meal, you are more likely to be starved two hours after you eat breakfast.

The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares her simple plan for weight-loss success that lasts a lifetime. The Small Change Diet isn’t about creating unrealistic, unsustainable rules—like counting calories, restricting choices, or eliminating entire food groups. It’s about turning smart habits into second nature. When it comes to achieving healthy, continued weight loss, the smallest adjustments often make the biggest impact. The key is mastering one new habit before expecting yourself to tackle another. Keri breaks each of the plan’s ten easy steps into even smaller, more manageable solutions. The best part is that you decide what to focus on and when you’re ready to move on. Take your time! Once you’ve made all ten changes, you’ll be healthier and thinner—for good!
Lisa Lillien
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

It's important to include protein with your breakfast, because it really satisfies you and you stay full for hours. In this video, Hungry Girl author Lisa Lillien explains protein's benefits, and suggests some high-protein breakfast recipes.

Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

The best way to start your day is with a healthy breakfast. In this video, nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock explains why protein should be included in your meal.

Continue Learning about Protein

Pick This Protein to Cut Throat Cancer Risk
White meat, or red? Your preference could help push your risk of throat cancer a bit lower. Case in point: In a study, people who ate the most red mea...
How can isolated proteins affect my health?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When it comes to soy protein, which shows up in so many places such as powders, bars, and shakes, be...
How much protein should I eat per day?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
You need to eat 5.5 ounces of protein per day. Protein helps build, maintain and repair body tissue....
What Are Some Good Sources of Amino Acids?