Why should I eat protein after I exercise?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Certain foods should be eaten soon after you exercise, in order to help your body form new muscle. Specifically, you should eat a substantial amount of protein -- often 10-20 grams -- within 30 minutes of completing a rigorous exercise session ("rigorous" is any exercise session that gets you breathing heavily). Protein helps build muscle and stops existing muscle from being broken down as a source of energy, because, similar to fat, muscle can be used to generate energy in the body. Many of you will choose a protein energy bar, based on the amount of protein on the package label.

A post-exercise protein "load" helps improve muscle strength and energy expenditure, while preventing the formation of fat. In other words, the timing of eating protein makes it easier to have a leaner, stronger body.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Protein

Your Quick Guide to Protein Intake
Your Quick Guide to Protein Intake
Lately, the world seems obsessed with protein in the diet: protein waters and beverages, the protein-heavy Paleo, Keto and Atkins diets, and protein-b...
How can I keep my C-reactive protein (CRP) level normal?
C-reactive protein, a substance released by the body in response to injury, is a marker of infla...
If I workout, do I need to supplement with a protein powder?
Catherine HollyCatherine Holly
Whether or not you need a protein powder for a workout depends on how long you are exercising. For a...
What Foods Can I Eat to Increase My Muscle Mass As I Get Older?