Which protein sources will help me live longer?

Which do you have on the menu -- chicken, beef, pork or fish? Your answer just might affect your life span.

Your best bet: Choose two legs -- or a couple of flippers -- over four. In a recent study, people who ate the most red (beef, pork) or processed (hot dogs, bacon) meats had the highest risk of dying during the 10-year study.

The red-meat and processed-meat eaters also had a higher risk of dying from cancer or heart disease. Why? Researchers aren't exactly sure. Could be the preservatives in processed meats. Could be the artery-clogging fats found in beef and bacon. Or it could be that both red- and processed-meat eaters consume less body-friendly foods like whole grains, fruit and veggies. In fact, other research shows that vegetarians fare best when it comes to heart disease mortality.

A shorter life is a big price to pay for indulging in cheeseburgers and BLTs. So stuff those tacos with ground turkey, and order the veggie pizza next time you're short on time (hold the pepperoni!). 

Continue Learning about Protein

Pumping Up with Protein
Pumping Up with Protein
The journey of getting older doesn't have to mean getting weaker, too. But go just one week without enough protein and your muscles could be on the p...
Why is eating protein important?
Protein has enjoyed a recent surge in popularity thanks to low-carb diet fads and weight loss and fi...
Why should I eat organic sources of protein?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
I believe that organic makes a difference across the board, especially as we move up the food ch...
The Diabetes-Smart Plate
The Diabetes-Smart Plate