Which isolated proteins should I consume?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Today there are so many sources of protein -- whey, egg white, hemp, rice (brown/white), quinoa, and peas to name a few. A key distinction will be if the protein is "isolated" -- which means extracted from the whole food through some processing or if it is the whole food form. This can make a big difference in nutrient quality and digestibility, and I recommend the whole food form. When it comes to soy protein, and in this case with powders, bars, and shakes, I actually don't recommend any soy protein isolate, preferring that one only consumes soy in the whole food form.

Conversely, I am okay with isolating whey and egg white proteins for consumption and find that often the elimination of the casein (the other dairy protein) makes the whey protein better tolerated reducing mucus formation and digestive disturbances for many. From the egg white standpoint, eliminating the yolk allows one to replace its fat content with a healthy fat such as that found in nuts and seeds (their butters and oils too).

Continue Learning about Protein

Let’s Talk Turkey: Fresh Vs. Processed
Let’s Talk Turkey: Fresh Vs. Processed
The 2013 animated movie Free Birds tells the story of two turkeys who time-travel back to 1621, just before the first-ever Thanksgiving. Their mission...
Do I have to eat meat to get enough protein in my diet?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
If you are a vegan, a vegetarian or a qualitarian (like me) you're eating right for optimal heal...
Why is eating protein important?
Protein has enjoyed a recent surge in popularity thanks to low-carb diet fads and weight loss and fi...
What Foods Can I Eat to Increase My Muscle Mass As I Get Older?