What is the nutritional value of halibut?

Halibut is one of the safest fish to eat as far as mercury contamination is concerned. It contains some fat, but mostly the heart healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated kind. It’s also very high in selenium, which is needed for the proper functioning of some of the body’s detoxification enzymes that prevent DNA damage from free radicals and toxins.

Halibut
Chad Kramer
Chad Kramer on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

A 5.5 oz/155 gram (approximately ½ of a fillet) fillet of Atlantic or Pacific Halibut provides 220 calories, 42 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbohydrates and 5 grams of fat (no saturated fat and 40 calories from fat).

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Halibut is an excellent source of protein, potassium, selenium, and vitamin B12. In addition, it is a very good source of vitamin B6, niacin, and phosphorous. A 31/2-oz (100 g) serving contains approximately 140 calories, 27 g of protein, 41 mg of cholesterol, and 2.9 g of fat, with 100 mg of EPA and 375 mg of DHA omega-3 fatty acids.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Protein

How to Go About Your Whey
How to Go About Your Whey
A new study from Canada’s McMaster University says whey protein supplements can help prevent age-related loss of muscle mass, especially for older fol...
What type of protein should I eat?
To eat protein: Save time and money during the week by buying lean protein such as chicken breas...
How can I meet my protein requirement while on a low budget diet?
Meeting your daily protein requirement while dieting is an expensive area and it can be challenging ...
When Eating Out, Choose Smart Protein
When Eating Out, Choose Smart Protein