What is texturized vegetable protein?

Chad Kramer
Chad Kramer on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

Textured or texturized vegetable protein or texturized soy protein (also known as TVP or TSP) is a meat extender made from defatted soy flour. It is a by-product of extracting soybean oil. It is quick cooking and has the protein content that is equal to meat. It is can be used as a vegetable alternative in whatever meat dishes it is replacing such as chili, sloppy joes, tacos, burgers and burritos.

Continue Learning about Protein

Are You Wild for Salmon?
Are You Wild for Salmon?
In the 2009 comedy Slammin’ Salmon, a desperate restaurant owner comes up with a contest to see which waiter can reel in the most money in a night—so,...
How much protein should I eat per day?
Ms. Vandana  R. ShethMs. Vandana R. Sheth
Daily protein needs vary based upon your age, gender, activity level, etc. In general, an adult woma...
Should I eat protein if I am physically active?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Studies clearly demonstrate that active people don't eat enough protein to optimize muscle endur...
Why Is Protein Important for My Brain?
Why Is Protein Important for My Brain?