What ingredients should a protein supplement for older adults contain?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Most protein supplements contain whey protein, a good source. Pay attention to what else is in a protein supplement. It should contain more than 15 grams of protein, with only small amounts of simple sugars and overall calories, and only minimal amounts of other ingredients. Always read the labels. The packaging can often be deceptive, and you want to get the proper type and amounts of fats, vitamins, and total calories, in addition to protein. This applies to any supplement.

Any protein supplement, whether a bar or liquid (including powders to which you add milk or water), should meet the following requirement, with minimal extraneous ingredients:
  • More than 15 grams of protein
  • Less than 200 calories
  • Less than 5 grams of simple sugar
  • No trans-fats
  • Reasonably good taste
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Protein

The Science Behind the High-Protein Craze
Move over, fat and carbs. Protein’s grabbing the spotlight. Half of all consumers want more of this healthy nutrient -- and new surveys reveal one in ...
How can I reduce my CRP or hs-CRP level?
The high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) blood test lets you know the amount of inflamma...
What is texturized vegetable protein?
Chad KramerChad Kramer
Textured or texturized vegetable protein or texturized soy protein (also known as TVP or TSP) is a m...
Why Should I Include Protein in My Breakfast?