What are healthy protein sources?

Choose nuts, beans, tofu and other soy-based products, chicken, fish, and lean cuts of meat to meet your body's need for protein. These foods are high in protein and other nutrients but low in saturated fats.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...
Toby Smithson

Healthy protein sources should include lean protein foods. Much of the cholesterol and saturated fat that we consume comes from higher fat protein sources, therefore I order to reduce our risk for heart disease, and lean protein food is the best choice. Additionally, if we reduce the fat content of a food, we will also reduce the calorie content which is helpful for weight management. Suggestions for healthy protein choices are:

• Greek yogurt
  • Reduced fat cheese
  • Low fat or fat free milk
  • Roasted Soynuts
  • Edamame
  • Nut butter (peanut, almond, etc.)
  • Lean beef
  • Fish like tuna and salmon
  • Grilled chicken breast
  • Beans
Caroline M. Apovian, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Some healthy protein sources include lean steak, white meat chicken or pork, any type of fish, tofu and plant-based proteins, nuts, seeds and eggs. Watch weight loss specialist Caroline Apovian, MD, discuss sources of protein for a healthy diet.

Marco Borges
Fitness
The most healthy protein sources are plant-based, including almonds, lentils, quinoa and pumpkin seeds -- which are alkaline-forming and reduce inflammation. Watch exercise physiologist Marco Borges share some of his favorite protein options. 

Continue Learning about Protein

Pick This Protein to Cut Throat Cancer Risk
White meat, or red? Your preference could help push your risk of throat cancer a bit lower. Case in point: In a study, people who ate the most red me...
How much protein should I eat per day on a heart-healthy diet?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You should eat two to three servings (about 4 to 6 ounces total) of protein daily. Get your prot...
Why is eating protein important?
Protein has enjoyed a recent surge in popularity thanks to low-carb diet fads and weight loss and fi...
What Foods Can I Eat to Increase My Muscle Mass As I Get Older?