What should be my required daily protein intake?

Eating the Right Amount

There is no hard and fast way to measure your required protein intake -- but rather, there are a few: by percentage of calories, by weight and by age. This may be confusing, but the end numbers for all measures are not so much conflicting as they are inclusionary.

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) change with age:
  • Infants require about 10 grams a day.
  • Teenage boys need up to 52 grams a day.
  • Teenage girls need 46 grams a day.
  • Adult men need about 56 grams a day.
  • Adult women need about 46 grams a day.
  • Pregnant or lactating women need about 71 grams a day.
Try Them All: Protein Sources

Consider this: a 6-oz. porterhouse steak will provide 38 grams of protein -- and 44 grams of fat, 16 of them saturated (three-quarters of the recommended daily intake). An equal portion of salmon will provide 34 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat, 4 of them saturated. A cup of cooked lentils will give you 18 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat. When choosing how you'll get your daily recommended dose of protein, try to incorporate as many plant-based sources first, then animal sources -- and red meat last.

Continue Learning about Protein

Is Chicken Really as Bad for You as Red Meat?
Nearly 70 years ago, a Swiss accordion player created the “Duck Dance.” A few decades later, a German band performed the song at an Oktoberfest celebr...
Do I have to eat meat to get enough protein in my diet?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
No you don’t have to meat in order to get enough protein in your diet. Plant based protein sources i...
Are protein bars and shakes good for me?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Two general nutrition concerns apply strongly to the category of ready-made protein bars and shakes:...
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue
5 Tips to Fight Fatigue