How do I add more protein to my diet?

Laura Russell
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

The typical person is usually overeating protein. If you are having 3oz of meat, poultry or fish (deck of cards size) for two meals of the day plus a serving of low fat dairy or cheese and including vegetables and whole grains you are probably already meeting your protein needs. However, if you are not a meat eater, you will need to add more foods like nuts, cottage cheese, lentils, dried beans, soy (tofu, edamame, soy beans), Greek yogurt, string cheese and nut butters to meals in order to have adequate protein. Meet with a registered dietitian to determine your protein needs and help you develop an appropriate meal plan.

Toby Smithson
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Here are a couple of tips on how you boost your protein intake besides eating a larger piece of meat!

• Add beans, lentils, or peas, to soups, chilis or stews.
  • Add tofu to your scrambled eggs.
  • Add  nuts, seeds or nut butters as a snack or dessert to end your meal.
  • Consume Greek yogurt for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack.
  • Use Greek yogurt in a smoothie recipe or use plain Greek yogurt to top a baked potato.

Continue Learning about Protein

How to Go About Your Whey
How to Go About Your Whey
A new study from Canada’s McMaster University says whey protein supplements can help prevent age-related loss of muscle mass, especially for older fol...
How much protein does my child need each day?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Use these calculations to learn how much protein your children need to eat daily. Don’t forget the h...
How can I add extra protein to the foods in my diet?
Tanya ZuckerbrotTanya Zuckerbrot
There are many ways to add extra protein to your diet. Protein is a great addition because with only...
When Eating Out, Choose Smart Protein
When Eating Out, Choose Smart Protein