How can I add extra protein to the foods in my diet?

There are many ways to add extra protein to your diet. Protein is a great addition because with only 7 calories per gram it fills you up without filling you out. Although protein on has 7 calories per gram many sources are high in saturated fats such as high fat meats and cheeses. Good ways to add extra protein from your diet come from the following:
  • Lean meats, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs
  • Low fat cheeses (provide calcium also for healthy bones)
  • Protein powder -- can be added to oatmeal, shakes etc. 
  • Nuts such as pistachios, almonds, walnuts
  • Low fat/fat free milk

Continue Learning about Protein

Protein

We hardly ever eat straight protein, but get it from foods like meats, fish, and soy, along with fats and carbohydrates in a protein package. Almost all reasonable diets provide enough protein for your body to break down into the ...

building blocks knows as amino acids. Recent interest in protein has been created by studies showing that diets high in protein and low in carbohydrates are at least as effective as low fat higher carbohydrate diets. Severe lack of protein can cause malnutrition diseases, but there is little evidence that high levels of protein do anything harmful.