What is the difference between gluten sensitivity and a gluten allergy?

A true allergy to gluten, a protein in wheat, is a disease called Celiac Disease. Celiac disease, also called gluten enteropathy, is an inherited, autoimmune disease in which the lining of the small intestine is damaged from eating gluten and other proteins found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats. Celiac disease is diagnosed by a gastrointestinal (GI) specialist who will complete blood tests, an intestinal biopsy, and a complete physical. If you think you have an allergy to wheat, you should see a GI specialist who can help you determine if you have an allergy or a possible intolerance.

Continue Learning about Protein

Is Chicken Really as Bad for You as Red Meat?
Nearly 70 years ago, a Swiss accordion player created the “Duck Dance.” A few decades later, a German band performed the song at an Oktoberfest celebr...
Why should I eat organic sources of protein?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
I believe that organic makes a difference across the board, especially as we move up the food ch...
What is gluten?
Susan TaylorSusan Taylor
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley and related cereal grains such as triticale, spelt a...
The Diabetes-Smart Plate
The Diabetes-Smart Plate