Why do I need protein in my diet?

Protein is essential for several bodily functions. In fact, it accounts for 20% of our body weight and helps us synthesize enzymes, hormones and important cellular structures. It also helps us with fluid balance and with building antibodies that guard against infection. Without proper protein we wouldn’t survive.

Protein also helps us feel full after a meal. People who don’t eat enough protein may actually eat more food and still have an appetite afterwards.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Proteins are made up of amino acids and are essential for growth and repair in the body. They are the building blocks of muscles, enzymes and some hormones. A gram of protein contains four calories.

Your body uses the protein you eat in a variety of ways, including:

• Build and repair all tissues
  • Form enzymes and hormones
  • Form antibodies to fight infection
There are plenty of ways to add protein to your diet, including plant-based protein options for vegetarians and vegans. Protein is found in meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products, dried beans, peas, peanut butter, nuts and seeds.
Proteins are composed of molecules called amino acids, which, when joined in different combinations, make up most of the tissues in our bodies: muscles, organs, skin, nails, and hair, for example. They also make up many of the biochemicals, like enzymes and hormones, which help our bodies grow, heal, digest, and detoxify. There are twenty-three amino acids in the human body, nine of which are essential. Animal sources of protein -- such as eggs, dairy products, and meat -- contain all nine essential amino acids. Plant sources of proteins -- such as beans, nuts, and seeds -- lack some of the essential amino acids.

Individual needs for protein can vary greatly depending on age, activity level, genetics, or chronic/acute illness. Those of us who do not meet our bodies' need for protein through our diet can experience symptoms of protein deficiency, which include: weakness, poor muscle tone, fatigue, dry and brittle hair and nails, slow wound healing, weakened immune system, blood sugar imbalances, and even depression.

Continue Learning about Protein Body Impact

High-Protein Snacks Boost Metabolic Rate
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, high-protein snacks are recommended. Research suggests tha...
Why does protein powder cause constipation and bloating?
Chad KramerChad Kramer
In sensitive people, protein powders can cause constipation and/or bloating based on the type of pro...
How can protein powders containing casein help build muscle?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Casein protein is a complete protein that comes in several forms usually derived from skim milk, and...
How Does Eating Protein Help Reduce My Appetite?