How can protein powders containing casein help build muscle?

Casein protein is a complete protein that comes in several forms usually derived from skim milk, and has been associated with muscle growth. Here's why: Due to the clotting nature of casein (it forms a gel in your stomach), its digestion is slow and steady. Having such a steady supply of amino acids has been shown in studies to prevent muscle protein breakdown, which some scientists suggest is just as important for muscle growth as enhancing muscle protein synthesis, especially during times of fasting, like sleep.

Continue Learning about Protein Body Impact

High-Protein Snacks Boost Metabolic Rate
Before you spend 20 minutes pumping iron at the gym or hauling your body up that park hill, high-protein snacks are recommended. Research suggests tha...
If I eat excess protein, does it turn into fat?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Excess of any food is stored as fat if your total calories (combination of protein, fats & carbs) ex...
Why should I avoid eating too much protein?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
While the body needs protein daily, it can get too much. The body does not store excess protein and ...
The Best Protein for Weight Loss
The Best Protein for Weight Loss