Why do I gain weight when I eat less protein?

Judy Caplan
Because when you eat less protein you are more likely to fill up on carbs. Protein helps keep your blood sugar stable and leads to less sweet cravings. Sweets and other carbs cause more fluctuations in blood sugar and lead to more sweet cravings and often a cycle of over eating and binging.
Jessica Crandall

Lean proteins are a great way to fill up on less calories, which leads to decreased portion sizes and thus weight loss. If you are eating less protein, you tend to eat more carbs. Carbs, especially those that are low in fiber, don't fill you up as much and you tend to want to eat more. Naturally, carbs hold onto some water which might also cause initial weight gain if transitioning from a high protein diet. Speak with your dietitian about appropriate amounts of protein and carbs for you specifically.

Continue Learning about Protein and Weight Loss

how can high-protein snacks help my diet ?
You don't have to suffer through hunger to trim your waistline, says RealAge's Dr. Mike Roizen. Watc...
what are some healthy proteins i can eat for snacks ?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
Try these healthy, protein-packed snack options:roasted chickpeasstring cheese cheddar ...
what are the best lean protein choices for weight loss ?
Ruth FrechmanRuth Frechman
There are no "best" lean protein choices for weight loss. Any lean protein will contain fewer calori...
what are healthy protein sources ?
what are healthy protein sources ?