What should I expect after a laparoscopic prostatectomy?

After having a laparoscopic prostatectomy, you will be carefully monitored in the recovery room following surgery. That evening, you can expect to sit up in bed, drink fluids and take a short walk. Nearly all men who have laparoscopic prostatectomy are able to go home the next morning.

The urinary catheter remains in for only one week (rather than two to three weeks with open surgery). Most men return to work in two to three weeks and can resume activities such as golf and weight lifting in about three weeks.

Continue Learning about Prostatectomy

Does radical prostatectomy lead to incontinence?
Neil H. Grafstein, MDNeil H. Grafstein, MD
Although urinary incontinence is extremely common in the aftermath of prostate surgery, for most pat...
Who will be on my surgical team for my prostatectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Your surgical team will consist of: your surgeon, an assistant surgeon, anesthesiologist operating r...
What is a prostatectomy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The most common surgery for prostate cancer is a total (radical) prostatectomy. This surgery seeks t...
Is radiation therapy required after robotic prostatectomy?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
Radiation therapy is sometimes suggested in place of surgery if the cancer is localized or if it has...