What are the benefits of robotic prostatectomy?

The benefits of robotic prostatectomy are faster recovery and less blood loss over open surgery, says Jayram Krishnan, DO, a urologist at Sunrise Hospital. in this video, he describes how robotic prostatectomy works.
For surgeons, robotic surgery allows for improved visualization of the anatomy due to 3D vision, increased magnification, and less blood loss. Precise, fine surgical maneuvers are possible, guided by the physician. Expert surgeons believe these factors confer an advantage in performing robotic prostatectomy. The proven benefits are numerous. In addition to less blood loss and the need for transfusions, studies have shown a shorter hospital stay, shorter catheterization period, less pain, fewer surgical site infections, and better cosmesis.

While all of these benefits result from robotic technology, the robot, in and of itself, cannot guarantee a successful outcome. Experience of the surgeon is paramount. I have performed over 4000 robotic prostate surgeries, incorporating the experience of my backgrounds in oncology and laparoscopy to optimize the potential of the technology.

Continue Learning about Prostatectomy

What is a prostatectomy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The most common surgery for prostate cancer is a total (radical) prostatectomy. This surgery seeks t...
How will a prostatectomy affect my ability to get an erection?
Jayram Krishnan, DOJayram Krishnan, DO
Prostatectomy does decrease erections by about 30%, says Jayram Krishnan, DO, a urologist at Sunrise...
What is laser prostatectomy?
Laser prostatectomy is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlarged ...
Is radiation therapy required after robotic prostatectomy?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
Radiation therapy is sometimes suggested in place of surgery if the cancer is localized or if it has...