Does radical prostatectomy lead to incontinence?

Although urinary incontinence is extremely common in the aftermath of prostate surgery, for most patients, it’s a temporary problem. The majority of men improve in the first six months to a year.

After the one year mark, it is very unlikely the incontinence will go away  untreated --- and many men are reluctant to seek treatment because they’re hoping it will go away on its own.

Fortunately, post surgery incontinence is a condition that we can treat very effectively using minimally invasive methods.

Continue Learning about Prostatectomy

Is erectile dysfunction (ED) common after radical prostatectomy?
It's hard to get a handle on what percentage of men will experience erectile dysfunction after hav...
Can urinary leakage occur after a radical prostatectomy?
Joseph E. Busby, MDJoseph E. Busby, MD
Yes, it is common for men to leak for 6 weeks to 6 months after surgery. This will progressively imp...
Who will be on my surgical team for my prostatectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Your surgical team will consist of: your surgeon, an assistant surgeon, anesthesiologist operating r...
What is laser prostatectomy?
Laser prostatectomy is used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlarged ...