What are the regions of the prostate gland?

The prostate gland has four distinct regions:
  1. anterior fibromuscular stroma—anchoring point of the urethral sphincter that controls urination: it does not have any glands and therefore cancer or enlargement does not develop here;
  2. peripheral zone—almost all prostate cancers start here;
  3. central zone—involved with the connection of the seminal vesicles to the prostate and is rarely associated with any disease process;
  4. transition zone— site of development for BPH, benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlargement).

Continue Learning about Prostate

What is a Gleason score?
Christopher S. Saigal, MDChristopher S. Saigal, MD
A Gleason score is a measure of tumor aggressiveness. It's scored from two to 10, with 10 being most...
How do I manage my nonbacterial prostatitis?
Treatment of nonbacterial prostatitis should be directed by your physician. Your doctor may employ a...
What Is a PSA Test?
What Is a PSA Test?
At What Age Should Someone Start Getting Screened for Prostate Cancer?