What is the function of the prostate?

The prostate is a gland that secretes fluid that is part of the seminal fluid. During male orgasm, the muscular component of the prostate squeezes this fluid into the urethra; it's expelled with sperm as semen. The seminal fluid helps to protect and nourish the sperm while they are introduced into the vagina.
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland located behind the base of the penis, below the bladder and in front of the rectum. It surrounds a segment of the urethra, which is  the tube-like channel that carries urine and semen through the penis. The primary function of the prostate gland is the production of seminal fluid, the liquid in semen, that protects, supports, and helps transport sperm.

Continue Learning about Prostate

Are there alternative treatments for prostate diseases?
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, NDDr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Watch as Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Dr. Peter Bongiorno discusses some alter...
How do I manage my nonbacterial prostatitis?
Treatment of nonbacterial prostatitis should be directed by your physician. Your doctor may employ a...
Smart Veggies for a Healthy Prostate
Smart Veggies for a Healthy Prostate
Are There Alternative Treatments for Prostate Diseases?