What are the different types of Gleason patterns?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Here is a general overview of the types of Gleason patterns:
  • Well differentiated cells correspond to Gleason 1 and 2. The cells are generally small, of fairly uniform shape, and tightly packed together. Cells display more varied and irregular shapes and are loosely packed.
  • Moderately differentiated cells correspond to Gleason 3. Cells are even more irregular in size and shape and are more dispersed; some cells are fused, and cell borders are less distinct.
  • Poorly differentiated corresponds to Gleason 4 and 5. Many cells are fused into irregular masses; some cells (those darkly shaded) have begun to invade the connective tissue that separates cells. Most of the tumor consists of irregular masses that have invaded the connective tissue.

Continue Learning about Prostate

Is the treatment of nonbacterial prostatitis dangerous?
Various treatments are available by which to address nonbacterial prostatitis. The medical and/or su...
How will having my prostate removed affect my sex life?
Dr. Frank A. Spinelli, MDDr. Frank A. Spinelli, MD
The prostate has a rich network of vessels and nerves around it, so surgery to remove it could resul...
Smart Veggies for a Healthy Prostate
Smart Veggies for a Healthy Prostate
Are There Alternative Treatments for Prostate Diseases?