What role do androgens play in prostate cancer?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Androgens are male sex hormones that fuel the growth of prostate cells, including prostate cancer cells.

The androgen cascade:

1. The hypothalamus releases pulses of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH), which signals the pituitary gland to crank out luteinizing hormone (LH).

2. LH travels through the bloodstream. When it reaches the testicles, it triggers the action of specialized cells that secrete testosterone into the bloodstream.

3. In the prostate, the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase converts testosterone and other types of androgens into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which stimulates the growth of prostate cells -- and fuels the growth of cancer, if it is present.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer

Diet and Lifestyle and the Role in Prostate Cancer Risk
Who doesn’t love getting something for free—an upgrade on your business flight, maybe, or a free glass of wine at dinner or a free ticket to a sellout...
How is prostate cancer diagnosed?
Prostate cancer is generally detected and diagnosed through routine screening. Prostate cancer can o...
What is stage 1 prostate cancer?
Stage 1 prostate cancer is confined to the prostate and cannot be detected with a physical examinati...
How Can I Make Sense of Prostate Cancer News?