What is locally advanced prostate cancer?

Locally advanced prostate cancer is prostate cancer that has spread just beyond the prostate gland to neighboring structures. It is not considered metastatic prostate cancer.

The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that is part of a man's reproductive system. It is found below a man's bladder, in front of his rectum and encircling his urethra. Prostate cancer cells can spread locally when cancerous cells move through the covering of the prostate to neighboring organs like the bladder or rectum.After spreading, cancer cells may attach to other tissues and grow to form new tumors that may damage those tissues.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer

Prostate Cancer Screening: Should You or Shouldn't You?
Personal risk factors for prostate cancer, such as your age, general health, race and family history, may not be enough to determine whether you shoul...
What is stage 3 prostate cancer?
Stage 3 prostate cancer has progressed to tissues near the prostate such as the seminal vesicles, bu...
What is the outlook for prostate cancer?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
Prostate cancer is usually a slow growing cancer and there are a number of treatments. Depending on ...
How Do I Protect Myself from Prostate Cancer, but Avoid Unneeded Treatment?