What is a targeted MRI/ultrasound biopsy of the prostate?

A targeted magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)/ultrasound biopsy of the prostate uses both pre-biopsy MRI images of the prostate with ultrasound-guided biopsy images in real time for identifying prostate cancer. This fusion of highly advanced imaging technology allows doctors to see the prostate more clearly, specifically in the area where cancer is suspected. It also provides clear visualization of the needle to ensure the suspected lesion is targeted for biopsy.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer

Fat and Cancer Cells: Lose it or They Use It
Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretsky: Imagine them descending on your goal . . . and you’ve never played hockey before. Well, if you’re obese and get...
What is CyberKnife treatment for prostate cancer?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
CyberKnife for prostate cancer is being evaluated and compared to other forms of radiation. It has t...
What are the treatment options for stage 3 prostate cancer?
Stage 3 prostate cancer treatment depends on several factors, chiefly how fast the cancer is growing...
How Will Having My Prostate Removed Affect My Sex Life?