Does frequent sex reduce my risk for prostate cancer?

Despite many studies on the subject, there is currently no definitive proof that frequency of sexual activity reduces risk of prostate cancer. Studies have shown a slight reduction in risk, but not enough to be significant or conclusive. Sexual frequency certainly doesn't have the same impact on prostate cancer risk factors as age or genetic history, for example.

Dr. Mark Moyad
Urologist

In one of the largest studies in the world ever completed considering ejaculations and prostate cancer, men who had the highest average number of ejaculations (ejaculation frequency) per month experienced the largest reduction in the risk of prostate cancer. In fact, men who reported that they had 21 or more ejaculations per month actually had the largest reductions in the occurrence of prostate cancer (21 per month! Perhaps lying reduces the risk of prostate cancer?). Look, 21 or more ejaculations would just make me sleepy and dehydrated!

A positive note for those men who want to have more ejaculations to reduce their risk of prostate cancer (and their partners, actually): self-induced and nocturnal ejaculations (wet dreams) are usually counted in the monthly ejaculation total. Any means to better health, I suppose!

Dr. Moyad's Guide to Male Sexual Health: What Works and What's Worthless

There is perhaps no medical topic that is discussed less than male sexual health. True that it is the basis of countless tasteless jokes, but seldom is the subject approached in a frank and...
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

The number of sexual partners you have may increase your risk of prostate cancer because it increases your potential exposure to infections. The number of ejaculations you have, however, does not.

Prostate cancer is at the stage where cervical cancer was some 20 years ago. We knew then that cervical cancer was correlated with the number of sexual partners a women had, and now we know it is caused by a virus (and can be reduced substantially by a vaccine). We may eventually discover that there's a virus associated with prostate cancer as well.

Conversely (and to boost survival of the species, we think), mutually monogamous sex three times a week is reported to be associated with a 50 percent reduced risk of prostate cancer. (This information is taken from You: Staying Young: The Owner’s Manual for Extending Your Warranty by Michael F. Roizen, MD, and Mehmet C. Oz, MD.)

In this video, Dr. Oz reveals more about how frequent sex can decrease a man's chance of prostate cancer.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer

Slash Your Risk for Fatal Prostate Cancer
“You have prostate cancer.” They’re the words no man wants to hear, yet more than 180,000 American men will hear them this year. But now a Harvard stu...
What are the symptoms of stage 2 prostate cancer?
At this stage of prostate cancer, there may be no symptoms. When they do appear, symptoms of stage 2...
How effective is a digital rectal examination in prostate cancer screening?
Dr. Marc B. Garnick, MDDr. Marc B. Garnick, MD
A digital rectal examination (DRE) is a screening test in which the physician inserts a gloved finge...
How Can I Make Sense of Prostate Cancer News?