Scientists are not sure. Studies have shown a link between a lack of omega-3 fatty acids and prostate cancer. For this reason, some health experts think flax seed oil can provide men with the essential fatty acids they need to prevent prostate inflammation. However, studies specifically about flax seed's effectiveness in treating prostate cancer have conflicting results, with one study finding that high levels of omega-3 might advance the disease. Some experts say the alpha-linolenic acid in flax seed is the cause of these findings.
- Q Why are African Americans at higher risk for prostate cancer?
- Q Can vasectomy increase the risk of prostate cancer?
- Q Who is at risk for prostate cancer?
- Q Why does the risk for prostate cancer increase with age?
- Q What is the link between prostate cancer and sexual activity?
- Q How does my race affect my risk for prostate cancer?