I've just been diagnosed with prostate cancer, what do I need to do?

Choosing a treatment option for prostate cancer—including not treating—can be confusing. In this video, Simon Hall, MD, chairman of the department of urology at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, explains the side effects of treating prostate cancer.

Once prostate cancer is found, you must have tests performed to find out if the cancer has spread and, if so, to what extent. Treatment depends on the extent of the cancer. To understand your treatment options, you may want to consult with a urologist and a radiation oncologist for help deciding what is the best treatment plan for you. For some treatments, the expense and risks associated with them may not outweigh the benefits.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment

Double-Punch Treatment Best for Prostate Cancer
Love him or hate him, the fact is that heavyweight champ Mike Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts with knockouts—12 of them in the first round—b...
How do I know if prostate surgery is right for me?
William K. Oh, MDWilliam K. Oh, MD
Surgery is one of several treatment options for prostate cancer, along with radiation and watchful w...
What are the sexual side effects of prostate cancer treatment?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Treatments for prostate cancer include surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. One type of surg...
Can Grape Seed Extract Help Treat Prostate Cancer?