How common are complementary therapies for treating prostate diseases?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
About one-third of American men with prostate cancer use at least one form of herbal or "natural" remedy -- and that figure doesn't include men who use acupuncture, massage, or another complementary therapy. Although statistics are harder to find for how many men use complementary therapies for other prostate conditions and their side effects, a wide array of products are promoted for these conditions, suggesting that there are many who do. Even so, the issue of complementary therapies doesn't often come up during a visit to the physician. Patients tend not to mention the nonprescription therapies they are using, and doctors may not ask about them. Please let your physician know if you are taking these supplements.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Treatment

Double-Punch Treatment Best for Prostate Cancer
Love him or hate him, the fact is that heavyweight champ Mike Tyson won his first 19 professional bouts with knockouts—12 of them in the first round—b...
Do all prostate cancers require treatment?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
Sixty percent of prostatectomies for "cancer" are Gleason 6. These cancers are the ones that are per...
How do I know if prostate surgery is right for me?
William K. Oh, MDWilliam K. Oh, MD
Surgery is one of several treatment options for prostate cancer, along with radiation and watchful w...
Is There a Vaccine for Prostate Cancer?
Is There a Vaccine for Prostate Cancer?